Πέμπτη 17 Νοεμβρίου 2011

GRIM REAPER Frontman Doesn't 'See Much Of A Resemblance' To Greek Finance Minister


Vocalist Steve Grimmett of '80s British metal band GRIM REAPER recently made headlines in Greece due to what many say is an uncanny resemblance between the singer and Greek Finance Minister Evangelos Venizelos.

Videos of Grimmett, with comments about his dead-on similarity to Venizelos, began circulating on Greek web sites and satirical shows after GRIM REAPER played a series of gigs in Athens, Thessaloniki, Komotini and Ioannina last week.

"From the moment I set foot in your country, everybody says I look like your minister," Grimmett, 52, told the Greek newspaper Ta Nea. "To tell you the truth, I don't see much of a resemblance. Perhaps a few years ago, when I had a few extra kilos. This gentleman is quite fat, despite the fact that he probably has quite a lot to do." He added, "I'm not sure, but I think there's something evil hiding behind his gaze."

According to the Philippine Daily Inquirer, Venizelos, 54, has made few friends in recession-plagued Greece for spearheading an austerity drive of wage cuts and tax hikes to secure bailout loans from the European Union and the International Monetary Fund.

A new GRIM REAPER live CD is in the final mixing stages and a U.S. tour is currently being scheduled for March/April 2012 with the help of Artists Worldwide. The trek, which will tentatively consist of 18 shows, will mark the first time Steve Grimmett has played a full GRIM REAPER set on U.S. soil in 25 years. Steve says, "I'm looking forward to getting out there, as are my bandmembers. It's been 25 years since I toured out there last. Maybe I'll get to see a few familiar faces!" He adds, "The live album is sounding great. Can't wait to get it released".